Jonathan S. Forester is an equity partner with the firm. Mr. Forester represents contractors, owners, insurers, self-insureds, architects, engineers and subcontractors in complex property damage and injury claims. Mr. Forester has represented clients in claims relating to commercial buildings, highways, bridges, theaters, airports and various other construction sites relating to contractual breaches, delay and disruption damages and construction defects including moisture intrusion, roof damage, structural defects, construction vibration damage, and fire or explosions. He represents and advises construction-related entities and other businesses through contract negotiation and drafting, as well as the filing of liens and recovery of funds owed pursuant to the Louisiana Private and Public Works Acts and federal Miller Act. Mr. Forester is adept in the trial courtroom and also argues appeals. In addition to his trial and appellate litigation practice, Mr. Forester represents clients before other governmental boards including the New Orleans Board of Zoning Adjustments (BZA), the New Orleans City Council, and the Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport (MSY) Board. Further, Mr. Forester additionally represents federal contractors in bid disputes on federal projects before agencies, the United States Government Accountability Office and before the United States Court of Federal Claims and the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. He regularly gives seminars regarding all facets of construction law, insurance, suretyship and contract negotiation.
From 2016-2021, Mr. Forester served on the New Orleans Chapter of the Federal Bar Association’s Younger Lawyers Division Board of Directors. Since 2022, Mr. Forester has served on the New Orleans Chapter Federal Bar Association’s Board of Directors. In 2021, Mr. Forester also achieved the honor of being elected to the Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) New Orleans/Bayou Board of Directors. For nearly a decade, Jon served as an Executive Mentor to freshmen business majors through Loyola University’s Executive Mentor Program.
In 2022, Jon was selected as a Leadership in Law honoree by City Business. For 9 out of the last 10 years, Jon has been designated by Super Lawyers, first as a Rising Star, and then as a Super Lawyer. Mr. Forester has also been recognized by U.S. News & World Report and The Best Lawyers® in America as a Best Lawyer in Construction Law and Litigation. Mr. Forester has also been recognized by New Orleans Magazine as a Top Lawyer. As a younger attorney, Mr. Forester was additionally selected as a finalist for the Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel’s 2017 Maraist Award.
- Presenter, “Reassessing Insurance Policies and Claims Handling Practices to Avoid Bad Faith Claims” for the National Business Institute Bad Faith Seminar – June 2023
- Presenter, “Insurance and Bonding for the Construction Industry”- CLE for the New Orleans Bar Association Construction Law Committee – June 2023
- Presenter, “Construction Bonds and Insurance Case Update” – Riess LeMieux Lunch and Learn Webinar– June 2023
- Presenter, Indemnification Provisions 101: Drafting, Negotiating, Common Mistakes for the National Business Institute – April 2023
- Presenter, “Louisiana Lien Law”, Client Presentation – February 2023
- Presenter, “An Architect’s Role During Construction Administration and Submittal Review”, Client Presentation – January 2023
- Presenter, “Insurance & Suretyship in Construction”, presented by LexVid Services
- Panelist, “Top Ten Issues: Construction Contracts” – LAGC 8th Annual Future Leader’s Forum – November 2022
- Moderator, “Schedule, Delay, Claim Documentation, and Required Notices and Damages”, The Blueprint Conference, presented by Riess LeMieux, LLC – October 2022
- Presenter, “Institutional Bad Faith: Industry Standards, Carrier Compensation Programs, Claims Process, Case Law & More”, presented by National Business Institute (“NBI”) – July 2022
- Presenter, “Advanced Insurance Bad Faith in Louisiana”, National Business Institute (“NBI”) Live Online Seminar – July 2022
- Panelist, ABC 2022 Summer Conference, “Construction Legal Panel”, presented by ABC – July 2022
- Panelist, LAGC 2022 Summer Conference, “Construction Legal Panel”, presented by LACG- July 2022
- Presenter, “Protection Against Construction Risk in Private and Public Contracting”, Association of Corporate Counsel (“ACC”) – April 2022
- Presenter, Indemnification Provisions 101: Drafting, Negotiating, Common Mistakes, April 2022
- Presenter, Meeting Minutes & Daily Reports, Client Presentation, April 2022
- Presenter, Can We Recover Money and Time, March 2022
- Presenter, What you Should Know About Foreclosure, Judgments and Seizures, Client Presentation, March 2022
- Presenter, How to Keep Track of Lien & Notice Deadlines, Client Presentation, February 2022
- Presenter, A Primer on Insurance and Bonds in Construction, January 2022
- Speaker, 2021 ABC Convention, August 2021
- Presenter, How to Follow Steps in the Lien Process, Client Presentation, June 2021
- Presenter, 2020 Annual Construction Industry Webinar: Dealing with Risk and Uncertainty, Client Presentation, September 2020
- Presenter, Indemnity, Change Orders, and More: Top Construction Legal Issues and Answers Webinar, Client Presentation, Co-presented with the National Business Institute, June 2020
- Presenter, Construction Insurance: Defective Work Claims and Construction Property Damage – Covered or Excluded, Client Presentation, May 2019
- Presenter, How to Contract Commercial Jobs Both Upstream and Downstream, Client Presentation, May 2019
- Presenter, Lessons Learned: Shop Drawings and Construction Administration, Client Presentation, March 2019
- Presenter, Protecting Your Money: Contract Provision Primer, Construction Financial Management Association Seminar, March 2019
- Presenter, How to Keep your Foot out of your Mouth: The Do’s and Don’t of Deposition Testimony, Associated Builders and Contractors, January 2019
- Presenter,Roles of Owners, Contractors, and Architects, Client Presentation, July 2018
- Presenter, Protecting Against Construction Risk in Private and Public Contracting, Client Presentation, March 2018
- Presenter, Defense and Indemnity in Construction: Protect Yourself From Financial Risk
See all of Riess LeMieux’s public resources available here.
- Obtained lowest and nominal settlement figure of 20+ defendants for defendant contractor against claims by 75+ plaintiff homeowners alleging vibration and dewatering damage related to large drainage project in New Orleans.
- Successfully argued at Louisiana Fourth Circuit Court of Appeal obtaining insurance defense and coverage for client contractor in significant personal injury electrocution case.
- Obtained favorable ruling with regard to DBE hearings before New Orleans airport board regarding DBE contractor.
- Obtained Judgment requiring defense and indemnity in favor of a general contractor and against a subcontractor’s Commercial General Liability insurer.
- Successfully argued prescription at Louisiana First Circuit Court of Appeal on behalf of dirtwork client contractor regarding catastrophic settlement of newly constructed building.
- Obtained dismissal of indemnity claims for general contractor relating to significant damages to upscale condominium renovation project.
- Defended commercial contractor in significant building envelope moisture intrusion and mold claim arbitration involving commercial building with property damage claims in excess of $12 million.
- Obtained favorable settlement for specialty masonry restoration subcontractor in litigation against upstream Contractors and federal government on a federal pump-station project.
- Represented subcontractor on a federal project asserting and defending multi-million dollar change order and additional work claims.
- Represented numerous contractors related to alleged ultra-hazardous pile driving claims and involving historic structures.
- Represented contractors on highway construction projects relating to vibration claims and vehicular accidents.
- Successfully negotiated contracts involving all forms of construction delivery methods for developers, general contractors and subcontractors.
- Louisiana State University, B.S., 2004
- Université Jean Moulin (Lyon III), summer law program, 2007
- Louisiana State University School of Law, J.D., 2009
- President, Moot Court Board
- Member, Trial Advocacy Board
- Winner, Robert Lee Tullis Moot Court Competition
- Best Brief, Robert Lee Tullis Moot Court Competition
- Regional Winner, National Moot Court Competition
- American College of Trial Lawyers (ACTL) Excellence in Advocacy Award, NMCC
- ACTL Best Oral Advocate Award, NMCC
- Louisiana Supreme Court and all courts of Louisiana
- United States Court of Appeal for the Fifth Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Eastern, Western and Middle Districts of Louisiana
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- New Orleans Bar Association
- Board Member on the New Orleans Federal Bar Association Board since 2022
- American Bar Association
- Forum on Construction Law
- Federal Bar Association
- Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel
- Jefferson Bar Association
- Associated Builders and Contractors
- Board Member on ABC Board of Directors since 2022
- Loyola College’s Executive Mentor Program
- National Business Institute Faculty Member