Robert W. Tschirn is a partner at the firm and focuses his practice in the areas of property and casualty, personal injury, maritime, and medical malpractice. Robert has extensive experience in insurance defense with over ten years of experience practicing law. He is also a NITA trial certified attorney and has served as trial counsel and second chair at trials in many cases in Louisiana state courts.
Robert is an experienced litigator and is licensed to practice in Louisiana and Texas. He is admitted before all United States District Courts in Louisiana, as well as the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Louisiana and the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit. He has also argued before the Louisiana Fourth Circuit Court of Appeal. In addition, where his client’s needs have required it, he has obtained temporary, pro hac vice admissions to practice in federal courts in other states, including New York, New Jersey, and Oklahoma.
In every matter, Robert works to develop an understanding of his client’s needs and evaluates the matter to determine the most efficient path to resolution. With that approach, he has favorably resolved cases and claims through informal negotiations, motion practice, settlement conferences, mediations, at trial, and on appeal. More than just obtaining favorable outcomes for his clients, Robert strives to deliver clear communication at each step along the way. He is also ever-mindful that how he conducts himself will reflect back on his clients, such that diligence and professionalism are always essential.
- Defended residential property insurer against claims asserted by subsequent insurer of same property for payment/contribution to correct subsequent insurer’s overpayment of insured’s claim for continuous and recurring damages.
- Defended contractor’s excess commercial general liability insurer against third party claims for defense and indemnity in consolidated litigation, involving multiple plaintiffs’ claims for property damages and personal injuries against contractors, engineers, architects, and others involved in construction of multi-building apartment complex adjacent to plaintiffs’ properties and places of residence.
- Defended vessel parts distribution and service company in brown water maritime case against claims that foundering of vessel was caused by substandard installation and repairs.
- Assisted with coverage determination for excess insurer of HVAC servicing company, against which hotel owner asserted claims for damages to the hotel, allegedly due to improper maintenance and inspection work, in breach of prior service agreement contract between the parties.
- Represented commercial umbrella insurer in personal injury litigation in defense against claims asserted on behalf of student for damages resulting from collision between school bus and insured’s 18-wheeler.