Thomas P. Henican is a partner with the firm. During his thirty-year career, Tom has handled numerous adversarial civil disputes at all levels and in multiple jurisdictions, including administrative proceedings and arbitrations, with an emphasis in general civil and commercial litigation, contractual disputes, environmental and toxic tort litigation, construction litigation, maritime defense, insurance coverage and defense, wrongful death and injury, workers’ compensation, corporate bankruptcy and employment law. Tom has considerable experience representing insurance interests in a wide range of litigated cases, including maritime, vehicular and premises liability, as well as various areas of personal injury defense, indemnity, coverage, bad faith and other disputes.
- Regularly advises local and national clients on employment issues, including personnel and company policies, protection against and defense of discrimination, breach of contract, wrongful termination and other claims, severance agreements, non-competition and other employee issues.
- Represented insurer in defense of substantial claims alleging negligence by treatment facility based upon purported sexual battery on patient. After trial, Orleans parish jury entered defense verdict awarding no recovery to the plaintiff.
- Successfully defended ADAAA, Title VII and ADEA cases resulting in minimal settlements.
- Successfully defended $8 million claim against construction company in commercial litigation, resulting in $10,000 settlement, which was less than nuisance value.
- Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization involving, among other matters, numerous nuclear radiation exposure claims and more than 200,000 asbestos claims—active role in case concluded via settlement.
- Obtained summary judgment for defendant, fully dismissing plaintiff’s claims based on lack of jurisdiction in a maritime case.
- Successfully defended charterer against seven-figure claims asserted by crane barge owner in a maritime litigation. Plaintiff recovered less than $100,000, after favorable ruling by U.S. Fifth Circuit, on claims pursuant to a maritime contract.
- Successfully prosecuted property damage claims on behalf of construction company resulting in a substantial seven-figure recovery, after obtaining milestone ruling on recovery of punitive damages in a maritime case.
- Successfully defended alarm company against significant claims, resulting in recovery on counterclaim in commercial litigation. Obtained landmark ruling from U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals on an insurer’s duty to defend in recovering fees and expenses from insurer.
- After trial, obtained judgment for client in the principal amount of $115,842.65 in business dispute over marine chassis units. Judgment affirmed by the U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Obtained summary judgment for client in defense of personal injury claims based on lack of garde, operation or control of the subject marine chassis.
- Obtained judgment for client in the principal amount of $413,000 in business dispute. Judgment in increased amount was eventually affirmed by the Louisiana Fourth Circuit, after retrial of quantum.
- Obtained judgment for client in excess of $400,000 in age discrimination case.
- Obtained judgment for client in the amount of $304,000, plus additional interest, after trial reduced on appeal, based on earnest money provision of contract, in dispute over canceled sale of real estate.